Wednesday, April 18, 2012

But I haven't got a stitch to wear...

a frustrated Cher in Clueless

I’ve recently started monitoring my purchases since the year started. And at first, I was in awe.
Now, I just feel nothing but disgust for myself for being able to spend so much in such a short period of time. It’s scary how quickly I’m able to make money disappear.
A lot of this have to do with impulse buying. It’s dangerous and not at all worth it, but is sadly and shamefully a terrible habit of mine.
Sure, a $20 top from H&M doesn’t really seem like it would hurt, neither would a £4 skirt, which may initially seem like a bargain triumph.
(FACT: I once purchased a £6 horse-print dress from Primark without trying it on. I thought, Ahhh, Horses! At this price! And it’s the last one in my size – I have to get it! I then went home and forgot about it, almost as quickly as my decision to buy it. When I came across it again in my luggage, I couldn’t figure out why I bought it in the first place. Despite the cute galloping horses all over the dress, the colour did not suit me at all; it fit like a stiff apron, and the quality, needless to say, was awful. Yet I felt no pangs of regret then because, oh well, what’s £6, right? If I could go back in time, I would totally kick myself in the shin. That’s about $10 down the drain, and no way of getting it back.)
In the long run, these little, seemingly insignificant purchases add up. In the past 4 months alone, I would have been able to afford a good camera and a new iPod, or airfare to cross the Atlantic if I only saved. Now that $20 top and £4 skirt are sitting in my closet, only worn twice, maybe 3 times, and already, it’s become threadbare, faded and awaiting for disposal. (The £6 Primark dress had long been donated. I got rid of it as quickly as possible. I think, subconsciously, the item served as a testament of how out-of-control my habits were becoming. But I was still hesitant to admit it then.)
For many a time, I’ve stood in my room, frustrated – not knowing what or whining about having “nothing” to wear. It’s these too-common instances of frustration that fuel the urge to buy, buy, buy, and it’s a costly attitude to have.
It’s definitely high time for me to change my ways. It’s a learning process, and it will definitely take some getting used to – and loads of discipline and self-restraint! But I’m determined to follow through. I have to. Over-consumption is not only depletive for finances but also very unhealthy for the environment! (My high school environmental club president-self must be very disappointed in me.)
And I certainly do not need any more stuff to add to a life of clutter.

No comments:

Post a Comment